Life in London

Life in London for a not-quite-middle-aged gay Australian guy. Oh, the glamour of it all!

Monday, May 22, 2006

Takeovers and Tapas

It's been quite an eventful week.

My company was bought out on Monday, but my job is safe - it may mean I end up working in London again, with a day commuting out to Theale. If the London option comes through (and I am so desperate for it to), I'll be about 15 minutes from work, or about a 30 min walk through Regents Park.

Everyone was talking about (and watching) Arsenal playing Barcelona in the Champions League Final. I didn't understand the fuss - didn't people realise that we were less than a week away from Eurovision? We missed the game as we were at the theatre watching Embers. Embers was basically a one-man show, with a great performance by Jeremy Irons. I gave it 7.75/10.

I was pleased to see that one the same day Paul and Heather McCartney-Mills split, Nicole Kidman announced she is engaged again. See, who said only bad things happen in the world?

Friday was one the worst days I've had at work here. I had to stay until 19:30,
which is pretty crap considering I normally leave at 16:30.

Saturday we met Damien, Kirsten and Sharna for lunch at Fino in Charlotte St. We've been meaning to go there for ages, so when Kirsten and Sharna said they wanted to go out for a big lunch before they return to Melbourne, we jumped at the opportunity. The Spanish tapas-style food was excellent, and the wine list was pretty good too. There was nothing wrong with the service either, but the staff weren't particularly friendly, which tends to detract from the whole experience for me. It wasn't that there was any attitude, but there was only minimal interaction between us and them. I loved the vedelho we had with lunch. Must make a mental note to buy more vedelho.

Saturday night we traipsed over to Damien's, in chi-chi Islington to watch the performances in Eurovision. Damien's favourite was the mulleted Russian entry (primarily because of his youth), I thought the Swedish entry was best - pure eurovision - and Germany's country-style entry was pretty good too. Most disappointing was the French entry - some god-awful ballad sung by some crappy chanteuse.

After a couple of hours of pyrotechnics, big hair and eastern european fashion, we headed out to Oscar's birthday party in Limehouse. It was good fun, then those of us with no sense went to 'Beyond' for a dance. It was pretty empty (only two rooms were open instead of the usual three), but there were a couple of groups of our friends there, so we had a pretty good night.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally got to read some more of your BLOG and looked at the photos of family and friends. I thought family would have included a photo of your parents!!!

06:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home