Life in London

Life in London for a not-quite-middle-aged gay Australian guy. Oh, the glamour of it all!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A brace of birthdays

So this is about 2 weeks too late, but I suppose late blogging is bettter than no blogging. We had the lovely Matthew's birthday dinner at Tamesa the other night, then we went roller skating. Tres retro. I am not sure, but I think Matthew might be gay. Paul certainly hopes so.



Then the Saturday before last (yep, get your Kylie/Aussie Rules footballers calendars out to figure out which Saturday), we had Don's birthday - complete with Brazilian waiting staff. I thought they melded into the crowd quite well in their roman slave outfits. Not that I noticed them.






We've also seen some films! And they were both French (see - I can do highbrow, too!). The first was 'Tell No One (Ne le dis à person)', which I really enjoyed. It was different to see a non-hollywood action/thriller. It must have been good because Paul attempted to exceed his 3-question quota ('Why is he doing that?' etc etc). I wasn't having any of it though. If you let them exceed it once, they'll only try to raise to four and before you know it, you'll find yourself with a 7-question limit at movies. I gave it 8.5/10.

The very next night (two films in two nights, imgaine how much we spent on popcorn, enough to buy a small flat in Melbourne!), we saw 'La Vie en Rose' (apparently so good, it doesn't need to an English translation for it's title). I didn't really rate it, (6.5/10,purely for the acting of Marion Cottilard), but it was worth it for 'Non, je ne regrette rien'. It's a song that unfortunately will forever be associated with a Nescafe ad in Australia for me, but it's still fantastic. I remember studying the lyrics in my short-lived french classes. Here they are (thanks to this) and apologies for the apalling layout. Heres a clip of Edith Piaf singing it live:


Non, je ne regrette rien






Non, rien de rien
Non, je ne regrette rien
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, ni le mal
Tout ca m'est bien egal


Non, rien de rien
Non, je ne regrette rien
C'est paye, balaye, oublie


Je me fous du passe


Avec mes souvenirs
J'ai allume le feu
Mes chagrins, mes plaisirs


Je n'ai plus besoin d'eux



Balayes les amours
Et tous leurs tremolos
Balayes pour toujours
Je repars a zero


Non, rien de rien
Non, je ne regrette rien
Ni le bien, qu'on m'a fait, ni le mal
Tout ca m'est bien egal


Non, rien de rien
Non, je ne regrette rien
Car ma vie, car mes joies
Aujourd'hui, ca commence avec toi





No, nothing.
No, I regret nothing.
Neither the good done to me, nor the bad;
to me, they're all the same.


No, nothing at all.
No, I regret nothing.
It's all paid for, swept away, forgotten;
I don't care about the past.


With my memories,
I've lit a fire.
My sorrows, my pleasures,


I need them no more.


Swept away are my loves
and all their tremors.
Swept away forever.
I start from scratch.


No, nothing really.
No, I have no regrets.
Neither the good done to me, nor the bad;
to me, they're all the same.


No, nothing.
No, I regret nothing.
Because my life, because my joys,
today, begin with you.


And then this Saturday we saw Shrek 3 - it managed to keep my attention for the length of the film, and the kids seemed to like it. I'd give it a 7/10. We saw it in Ipswich, which provided possibly the best argument I've seen so far against first cousins marrying.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tales of the City said...

Well matey.. you should try Norwich.. definitely puts you off the idea of marrying your sister... Good to have you back online.

16:08  
Blogger Darth Gateau said...

Ipswich?
Also a major argument for sitting in a large dark room and watching a movie...

22:11  
Blogger samedi! said...

They played Rien de Rien in the piggy Babe sequel. I wondered why. But Edith Piaf rocks in any case.

11:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home