Life in London

Life in London for a not-quite-middle-aged gay Australian guy. Oh, the glamour of it all!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ghosts Don't Cry

Finally last night we got to see Volver, although for a period it seemed we wouldn't. It was sold out at the first cinema we tried to see it at, so there was a mad dash through the pouring rain (and last night the rain in globally-warmed London was almost tropical) to the Curzon in Soho.



The film itself I thoroughly enjoyed - perhaps I'd agree that it's not Almodovar's greatest movie, but I thought it was typical Almodovar, irreverent and comical, and the women's roles were great. He seems to love having strong women in central roles in his films.



The colours and cinematography were enticing and alluring and I found the film itself quite seductive. Penelope Cruz acted fantastically, stealing the movie, and acting far better in her native Spanish than she does in English. She seemed to occupy the entire screen in her scenes - and the film somehow managed to emphasise her beauty (at times she reminded me of Sophia Loren), despite the fact the lives portrayed were quite ordinary and not at all glamourous.



The whole experience was quite captivating and I'm keen to view Volver again - I suspect it is a film where subtle nuances are picked up through repeated viewings. I could easily have sat through another two hours of it. I suppose I have to give it a mark out of 10, so I'll give it 8.8/10.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home