Life in London

Life in London for a not-quite-middle-aged gay Australian guy. Oh, the glamour of it all!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sometimes I Wish I was Braver

Last night, Damien had organised for Paul, he and I to attend a talk given by John Pilger, on his latest book, ‘Freedom Next Time’. He spoke very impressively (without notes) for about 25 minutes, then took questions from the floor on a variety of topics for another 40 minutes or so. I respect the stand John Pilger makes on various issues (Palestine, black poverty in South Africa, the tyranny and arrogance with which governments treat their voters and collude with big business, the plight of Diego Garcia, Imperialism etc. etc.), and agree with most of what he says. Sometimes, however, I can’t help but feel he glosses over some inconvenient truths if they don’t serve his argument.

Last night, for instance, he claimed that the Taliban had wiped out the afghan opium industry when they were in power. I didn’t think that was correct, and then today’s guardian had a story ,(purely by coincidence), about the resurgence of opium production in Afghanistan, stating that the Taliban had significantly reduced opium production in Afghanistan when they were in power, but not wiped it out, as Pilger had claimed. And I think that making claims in that fashion does his cause a disservice, because he does a great job in highlighting unfashionable causes.

Not that I'm saying the right doesn’t do manipulate the truth either, but I’d rather not be misled. I wanted to ask Pilger his opinion on China and whether he felt democracy would ever prevail, but I didn't have the balls to. Anyway, it was a very interesting night, so a big thankyou to Damien.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home