Life in London

Life in London for a not-quite-middle-aged gay Australian guy. Oh, the glamour of it all!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I Love theguardian - reason # 193

Two jokes - one from yesterday:

Jean-Paul Sartre was busily working on Being and Nothingness in a Paris cafe. He paused to ask the waitress for a "coffee with no cream". "I'm afraid we have no cream, monsieur," she replied. "How about a coffee with no milk?"

And then a followup today:

Descartes in a coffee shop. "Would you like cream with that?" asked the waiter. "I think not," replied Descartes, who promptly disappeared.


And revealed today - Dame Stella Rimington, former head of MI5 (the intelligence agency, not a Tom Cruise (nutter extraordinaire) vehicle) comes out as a guardian reader.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I am/was also a guardian reader, when I first moved to the UK, I read my first gaurdian and even for a dyslexic, noticed spelling error - frequently. I later found out this is some sort of gaurdian lifestyle. My only guardian complaint - the film reviews - I could never find a film review in the gaurdian which did not a) Rave about a film which was ONLY playing in London and b) Hate all films that were playing elsewhere in the country. Basically, it felt that if more than 200 people might enjoy the film, it was heavily tainted with selling itself to the lowest common denominator and thus scorned.

17:08  
Blogger Chris said...

Agreed, when I lived here in the early 90's I couldn't read the guardian - I was an avid independent reader. Now, I find the independent too tabloid for my liking and the guardian has at least developed a sense of humour about itself. And we're forever going to go to a movie recommended by it that finished it's run last week. Sigh.

12:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home